Pages

Friday, April 24, 2020

Offering service to others

I have a website about family history, which I set up with the encouragement of others who said that I should make the services I have given to people freely in the past into a business. The trouble is that I love family history research so much that I feel wrong selling it. I haven't kept up the blogging there either, so it looks out of date... and I realise that the wall of text I have on the first page is probably only attractive to other family historians and not the customers. It's on the list of things to do.

Also on the list of things to do is my other site, Recording Angel, which is about recording the personal stories, family histories and memorials for people in the family.  Originally I was again planning to make it a purely business site, offering those services to the community. But the current circumstances mean that so many people are unable to attend funerals, it occurred to me that offering people information on how to do it for themselves would be a service to others, and so that is what I am doing in between gardening and housework: making a website to explain how to do it, and how to go about it.

I'm hoping it will help - it breaks my heart to see people buried without any formal memorial.  I know those can happen in the future, but I think the memorial of the person is an important part of grieving - you want the world to acknowledge that the person had a place in the world and a personality, and to acknowledge their loss to the world.

So if I am a little distracted, forgive me.

No comments: