Pages

Thursday, April 23, 2020

Gardening in my pyjamas

As the UK is experiencing California-like weather, with long sunny days every day at the moment, I have been out in the garden trying to get it under control.  I left my garden for about six months in 2018 when I looked after first my ex and then my mother for several months, then spent a lot of time helping to sort out my mother's house.  Then six months after I lost my mother, my partner died, and for the whole of 2019 I hardly did anything in the garden except water - and it shows.

I'm gradually getting it under control.  I've brought in a new compost bin, put in raised beds, and have given up on trying to have a lawn and put paving slabs as a path through what is rapidly becoming a meadow.  It's only small, but it is full of life, my garden, with frogs and birds and insects, lots of worms in the soil and abundant plants.

This morning I took delivery of a dozen strawberry plants.  I argued with myself about where to plant them, but eventually decided to put them in the raised bed.  I banked the soil up, as I am expecting a lot more next week, and put the plants in within a short while of them arriving.  The soil is a combination of well rotted compost and commercial soil, and I'm hoping that it will suit them.

Meanwhile one, just one, of my knee pads has gone missing.  I can't imagine what anyone would want one knee pad for.  Fortunately I managed to do what I needed to do on one knee... but I will have to find the other!

I'm not gardening in my pyjamas today - I was expecting deliveries, and so even put a bra on! But it is warm enough to be out there in a bikini, let alone pyjamas...and I have been out there in my pyjamas this week....

No comments: